Solved

Can i use a windows 8 key with an 8.1 iso?

Yeah i have a win 8 pro key and cant find an 8 iso but can find an 8.1 iso please help
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows key iso
  1. windows 8.1 is just an upgrade from windows 8, so yes you can.
  2. PCBuilderProbs said:
    windows 8.1 is just an upgrade from windows 8, so yes you can.


    But i need to install it through usb and the only isos are windows 8.1 ones and i have a windows 8 key
  3. Pownderosa said:
    PCBuilderProbs said:
    windows 8.1 is just an upgrade from windows 8, so yes you can.


    But i need to install it through usb and the only isos are windows 8.1 ones and i have a windows 8 key


    create a bootable USB from the ISO, there's a number of programs that can do it relatively quickly.

    Again, windows 8.1 is just Windows 8 with updates, so as long as your Windows 8 key is legit you're good.
  4. you cant install windows 8.1 with a 8 key
  5. but what you CAN do is download windows 8, install it with your key, then update to 8.1.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
  6. 8.1 is not just an update and counted as separate products because the licenses changed. The keys will not work between versions. You do have to get 8, use the key and then update.
  7. k1114 said:
    8.1 is not just an update and counted as separate products because the licenses changed. The keys will not work between versions. You do have to get 8, use the key and then update.


    oh Microsoft... making us do an extra step for no reason...
  8. Best answer
    You can install windows 8.1 with a a generic key (334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT for Core, XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB for Professional) then input your windows 8 key when activating windows.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 8 ISO